Saturday, December 11, 2010

New arrivals this week!

It's been a few days since my last post so I thought I'd share 2 new pieces that came in this week.


The first image is a tasteful nude by Henno Arrak.  All I can find out on Henno Arrak is that he is a modern-day bookplate artist from Estonia.  What drew me to this plate was the excellent contrasting of black & white.  The creepy eyeballs are kind of cool too!

The second plate of the week is a very nice, large print by one of my favorites....Jan Konupek!  This print is what I have come to learn to be pretty typical of Konupek in that the imagery is very odd.  I would love to have been a fly on the wall, fluent in the  Czech tongue, when Konupek was discussing this commission with his client.  "So Dr. Novotny, what do you think about the idea of having some really nasty-looking harpies flying down with books in their claws while a helpless sailor, tied to the mast, looks on with fear?  Is that pretty close to what you were hoping for in this new piece?"

Anyway, I hope that next week brings more treasures to my door step!  Until then, have fun looking at my small but growing collection!


By the way, both plates above came from Rob Reilert on eBay. He seems to be a super-nice guy who sells at very fair prices.

Check him out at:

1 comment:

  1. Henno Arrak is actually one of Estonia's grand old man in graphic arts, over 80 years old joyful and humorous, one of the best detailed and natural drawer. He was not favored during Soviet times because of his improper past - fighting for Estonian freedom when young thus all his large works we not so well known but the better they were. Didn't had to fit for communistic ideology. Thus he made lots of bookplates, also illustrated books and stamps. His large graphic works from 1960s and 70s are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete